Boris Mann

Open Source. Community. Decentralized Web. Building dev tools at Fission. Cooks & eats.


Leftover Turkey

At Christmas time, we had bought a turkey, but ended up getting invited over to Troy and Tan’s place for Christmas day. So – leftover turkey in the freezer that never got cooked.

We decided to invite a whole bunch of people over to help devour said bird, along with some other stuff I made.

We ended up with over a dozen people. I had also mentioned that folks should bring a bottle of wine or two, preferably ones they hadn’t tried before.

Since the turkey was quite small (it was meant to feed Kate, her mom, and me), I had to get some more main course. At the store, it turned out that some nice pork roasts were on sale. Well…“roast” is perhaps a bit of an overstatement – these things were giant hunks of pork.

Perhaps it doesn't sound that appetizing, but it was really tasty. I got out the knife and did some work on the hunks, cutting off most of the big layer of fat. Then, I seasoned with black pepper, coriander, paprika, and garlic powder, placed the oven on broil and placed the pork (fat side down) in a roasting pan.

After browning on both sides (about 10 - 15min per side), I took it out of the oven and added a can each of pears, pineapple rings, and peaches, reserving the juice separately. I stirred a couple of tablespoons of Patak’s “Hot” curry paste (brandname – just make sure you use past instead of powder) into the juices, then poured those over top as well.

Back in the oven it went, where it cooked at 375 for about 2 hours. If you have thick pieces of meat or just want it to cook faster, cut the pork into 2 - 3” pieces. Easy and tasty, with lots of yummy sauce to put over rice, potatoes, or pasta.

That was our “recipe interlude”. In case you’re interested, the rest of the meal consisted of the turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, honey dilled carrots, and vegetarian stuffing, plus an assortment of breads and buns.

For dessert, Tanya brought apple pie and ice cream, Jody donated some of her world famous rum balls, and we made coffee. As well, I opened up a really nice bottle of 25 year old port I had sitting around.

Then it was on to the festivities. We divided into four teams and played Cranium – a great game for larger groups of people.

By this time it was around 11pm, and people started wandering off. A few stayed behind to play a couple of hands of Euchre. Full of food and wine, we closed up shop shortly before 1am. Next time – seafood!

You can check out the pictures if you want.